Retreat Hotel - Terms and conditions
Safety standards and liability
Blue Lagoon Ltd. is an Icelandic company which runs the Blue Lagoon, the Retreat at Blue Lagoon Iceland and Silica Hotel, hereafter together named “Blue Lagoon Iceland”.
Blue Lagoon Ltd. disclaims responsibility for any loss, damage, accidents, sickness, or changes in schedule caused by weather, strikes, or any other irregularity outside the company’s control and for expenses due to any of these reasons. All such losses and expenses are the personal liability of the guest.
We advise all our guests to have valid travel insurance. This insurance should be obtainable in your country of residence and usually covers cancellation fees and, to some extent, accidents that might occur.
When entering our facilities, guests assume full responsibility for their own safety and the safety of the children in their care. To ensure your safety and to make your visit as enjoyable as possible, we ask you to pay special attention to the following:
- If you suffer from any medical conditions, please make sure to get prior medical consultation and permission from your doctor before entering our facilities. Likewise, if you cannot swim, it is critical that you inform our staff. The deepest part of the lagoon is about 150 cm. Due to its high mineral content, the lagoon water is cloudy and not transparent.
- Guests must wash without a swimsuit before entering the spa areas. The shower gel available in each shower is specially designed to prepare your skin for the experience.
- Diving is prohibited. The lagoon is too shallow.
- It is recommended that guests take regular breaks (15-minute intervals) from the lagoons, saunas, and steams. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.
- Please be aware that floors and walkways may be slippery and/or wet. Exercise caution when walking in wet areas and on stairs. Do not run. Hold on to handrails where available. Please help us keep areas dry where applicable.
- No glass is allowed in spa areas or in the lagoons. This is to prevent injuries due to broken glass.
- Blue Lagoon Ltd. is not responsible for valuables. Guests are solely responsible for their own belongings.
- For safety reasons, we reserve the right to refuse/withdraw access to anyone who arrives intoxicated or wants to enter/remain in spa areas while intoxicated. The determination of whether an individual is intoxicated is solely at our discretion.
- The lagoon in front of the hotel rooms is not for bathing unless specified.
- Please use designated walking paths. We respect Blue Lagoon Iceland’s unique nature and ask you to do the same by not stepping into the lava fields or on the moss.
- Always comply with instructions from our staff. Lack of compliance or inappropriate behaviour can result in immediate expulsion from Blue Lagoon Iceland.
Your safety is our highest priority. Lifeguards watch over common spa areas during all opening hours. Staff regularly attend first aid and emergency response training.
Travelling with children
Children under 2 years of age are not allowed in the lagoons due to their sensitivity to the high mineral content of the water.
Children under the age of 12 years must be accompanied by an adult guardian at all times during their visit. The deepest parts of the lagoons are about 150 cm. The lagoon water is cloudy and not transparent. Guardians shall therefore show special caution when supervising children. The minimum age for the spa areas and the Retreat lagoon is 12 years. Teenagers from 12-18 years old need to be accompanied by an adult.
Children 2-8 years of age must wear inflatable armbands (floaties). This is to increase their visibility in the lagoons. Floaties are readily available – free of charge – at the lagoons. Note: The floaties are not considered a life-saving device and therefore do not replace continuous adult supervision of children.
Minimum age for the Retreat spa, Blue Lagoon Ritual, and the Retreat lagoon is 12 years. Minimum age for the Blue Lagoon is 2 years.
All ages are welcome at the Retreat Hotel, but families with children aged 8 or younger are not permitted to stay in the suites on the ground level. This is because these suites have direct access to the water surrounding the complex.
The following safety rules apply:
- There is no lifeguard or other security surveilling the private lagoons. While in the lagoon you are responsible for your own safety and others in your care. It is highly recommended that you always be accompanied by another person while in the lagoon.
- Take regular breaks (15-minute intervals) from the lagoon, sauna, and steam. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.
- The use of the lagoon is not allowed while intoxicated. Intoxication increases the risk of dehydration, drowsiness, and drowning in the lagoon.
- Do not bring any glass into or near the lagoon. This is to prevent injuries due to broken glass.
- Children under 2 years of age are not allowed in the lagoon due to their sensitivity to the high mineral content of the water. Children under the age of 15 years must be accompanied by an adult guardian at all times during their visit. The deepest parts of the private lagoons are about 125 cm. The lagoon water is cloudy and not transparent. Guardians shall therefore show special caution when supervising children.
- If you want inflatable armbands (floaties) then ask your host.
Note: The floaties are not considered a life-saving device and therefore do not replace continuous adult supervision of children.
Bookings shall be made in writing to the Retreat reservation department. All information regarding client, billing address and dedicated contact person who is responsible for booking shall be clearly stated.
The agreement of the reservation of rooms and/or services is valid when the signed contract is returned or confirmation in writing is received (email is accepted as a written agreement). Each booking must include the following information:
The booking shall state the number of suites and type of accommodation booked.
The booking shall include date of arrival, departure, total number of nights, and preferably arrival time.
The booking shall include guests’ names or name of group and number of people, as well as number of adults and children. Age of children must also be stated.
Booking is only confirmed when Retreat reservation department has confirmed the booking in writing and the appropriate deposit made under these conditions.
Cancellation and booking modifications
All cancellations or changes must be communicated in writing to the Retreat reservation department.
i) Individual reservations
All cancellations or changes should be in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations or changes must be made by 6:00 p.m., local time, 14 days prior to arrival or a penalty of one room night will be billed. The same applies to no-shows.
No-shows will be charged to the client or credit card guaranteeing the reservation.
Except: For bookings of 4 room nights or more, cancellations or changes within 14 days of check-in will result in a charge of 50% of the total booking value.
For bookings of 4 rooms or more, group conditions apply.
ii) Group reservations
In order to change or cancel a booking under these terms the following restrictions regarding notice period apply:
|Nr. of Rooms||Minimum cancellation notice|
|1 – 3||14 days|
|4 – 11||30 days|
|12 or more||As per terms stated in offer/contract|
All cancellations should be made in writing to the Retreat reservation department with an email to the respective account manager or to email@example.com stating the booking number as reference. For bookings cancelled with less than the above mentioned notice please note that the full price of the original booking will be charged.
Rates and payment terms
Blue Lagoon Iceland ltd. reserves the right to change its rates in case of economic changes, including, but not limited to, currency fluctuations, inflations, increased cost of supplies, tax changes and other force majeure events. In case of VAT or other tax changes, the client contract prices will change accordingly. Price change affected by tax changes will apply to all reservations, although reservation has been confirmed on previous prices or payment has already been made. Above rates are valid for the above dates and; inclusive of VAT. They are subject to any official tax changes.
Blue Lagoon Ltd. – 240 Grindavík – Iceland
ID: 490792 2369 – Bank: 0542 26 011105 – VAT: 40683 –
SWIFT: GLITISRE – IBAN: IS89 0542 3871 0352 4907 9223 69